Friday, July 25, 2008

How do I live and teach a Biblical Worldview?

I have been thinking a lot about my life and the lives of the future generations. First I put a disclaimer up that I am not an expert on parenting or teaching so please read my thoughts with an appropriate measure of salt. My husband and I don't have children but if we do go down that path someday, I certainly desire for my children to follow after God. But I also desire for the generations after me to do the same. I came across a verse today and it struck me with a new thought.

Romans 16:19
I want you to be wise about what is good, and innocent about what is evil.

As parents or teachers or followers of Christ, we need to be focused on the real genuine thing. God and who he is should be our focus. As Paul said, to be wise (having the power of discerning and judging properly as to what is true or right; aware, astute, perceptive) about what is good. Life, relationships, God. We need to be tuned into the authentic and holy versions of these things so we can know good. And on the flip side, innocent (free from moral wrong; without sin; pure, uncorrupted, unstained, unsullied) about what is evil.
What came to mind as an illustration is the way that people are trained to detect counterfeit currency. They spend all their time studying the authentic thing so that they are experts about all of the little nuances and details of the item. Then when they encounter a counterfeit, they instantly recognize it because they know the real thing so completely.
I believe that this is how God wants to relate to me and help me live a biblical worldview. I believe that he was also giving me a little revelation into how to help future generations do the same. God is what we need to know and what we need to teach!
Once again I am blown away with how God whispers to my heart and gives me insight. Bless his holy name!

1 comment:

Lynn Cross said...

Thank you Esther for your comment. I find comments keep me going! Great insight into the Word this morning. As a parent with five children all spread out in ages, it is easy to slip away from focusing on what is good and right and beautiful. It seems I am always dealing with the dark side. Thanks for the reminder. Lynn